Monday, December 20, 2010

Hey, Obama! Here's a Shovel-Ready Project For You!

Question-When has lack of attention to road repairs gone too far?  Answer-When a pothole kills a young wife and mother of two.  It sounds unbelievable, but it's true.  It happened on a stretch of I-20 in Alabama.  In a report on FoxNews.com, it is written that a woman, Crystal Dick was driving along at 70 mph (the speed limit along that stretch of road) and hit a pothole that had been patched and was again breaking down.  A piece of concrete flew from under her tire and flew through the glass of the pickup being driven by John Fisher.  The concrete struck Fisher's wife Jo, and then sailed into the back of the truck between their two children, through the back glass, and behind the truck, never to be seen.

Fisher pulled over, as did Dick, but the damage had been done.  Fisher's wife died the next day.  Fisher asked Dick to come with him to the hospital to help watch the kids, but the police wouldn't let her, because they needed a statement.  Though Dick wasn't charged, as the accident was deemed caused by the road conditions, Dick still felt terrible.  Some people even blamed her, saying she was the one who caused the woman's death.

Fisher doesn't blame her.  It was the most random of accidents, and one that was totally preventable.  Alabama doesn't have the massive amounts of federal and state funding to completely replace or repair roads that are in need of repair.  The best they can do is patch them until funding can come through to do a proper job.

Alabama is now repaving that portion of I-20, but is still several miles from the section that killed John Fisher's wife, Jo.  Crystal Dick will no loger drive that section.  One life lost, and four lives ruined, all over a pothole that should of and could of been repaired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you know Joe Albero was arrested last year for stalking a 14 year old girl? WHY would you associate with such a weirdo?

LadyLibertarian said...

Who says I associate with Joe Albero? Because I go to his blog? Because I post to his blog? That is a very flimsy link. You don't know who I am, so therefore it would behoove you to refrain from making comments on things that you do not understand. Please think before you post. I am choosing to keep this a place where comments are not monitored. Please do not make me regret my decision. If I have to go the route of monitoring comments or even going to registered users only, I will. I will not have my blog become a place for people to trash others. It will not be tolerated. I will allow your comment to stand, however, the next comment that trashes anyone, and I mean ANYONE, will be removed and marked as spam.