Tuesday, December 14, 2010

English Grammar and Blogging

I'll readily admit that I am new to this blogging thing.  I know as I post more and figure out how to use the different tools, I will get into the groove and have a lot of the "bells and whistles" that other bloggers have.

One thing that I do have that some other bloggers don't is a basic command of the English language and proper grammar.  I was pretty surprised that while surfing around and looking at other blogs I found one where the person writes in a style that I would describe as "Early Caveman."  As I read it, I was appalled by the utter lack of proper punctuation, the mangling of the English language, and the whole F. Scott Fitzgerald "stream of consciousness" thing going on.  I have a graduate degree, and even I had to go back and re-read some of the posts because I could not for the life of me figure out what this person was trying to say.  I came away from the whole experience with an enormous headache and an appreciation for my teachers who taught me to appreciate having enough pride in myself to use proper English.  Also, as much as I hate to admit it, I have to thank my high school typing teacher for teaching me proper typing ettiquette.  I have never used a red pen to correct papers in my life (I taught at a school in another state before moving away), but for this blog, I would mark it up so much, it would look like it was bleeding.  I think that before a person is allowed to publish a blog that is going to (potentially) be viewed by hundreds, maybe thousands of people, a person should be forced to take a test that would evaluate their command of the English language.  I understand that people make mistakes occasionally, but what I viewed was beyond incredible in its lack of comprehension or intelligence.  If you would love a good laugh, please visit this website.

No comments: